Welcome to Valley View Schools Special Education Department. Kevin Phillips is the Special Education Coordinator and he can be reached at kevin.phillips@valleyview.k12.oh.us or at (937)855-6581, Ext. 228. He can also be reached through Lisa Minton, the Special Education Secretary, at (937)855-6581, Ext. 240, who works the early morning hours.

Additional services provided through the Montgomery County Educational Service Center (MCESC) include a K-12 school psychologist (Jodi Kulka – jodi.kulka@valleyview.k12.oh.us or 855-6581, Ext. 240) and a Preschool School Psychologist (Denise Kovacs – denise.kovacs@valleyview.k12.oh.us  or 855-6581, Ext. 240), as well as two part-time Speech/Language Pathologists and a part-time Adapted Physical Education Teacher. The district also contracts with the State Support Team Region 10 (SST10) for other supports as needed such as audiology, hearing intervention, orientation and mobility, and other related services. For assistance, please contact us at one of the phone numbers or email addresses listed above.

About Us

The special education department serves approximately 250 students who have been identified as having disabilities under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA 2004). Services are provided in accordance with Ohio’s Operating Standards for Children with Disabilities and the Special Education Model Policies and Procedures.


School age students, ages 5-21, who qualify for special education services, under IDEIA, are identified as having disabilities in the following areas: Autism, Deaf-Blind, Emotional Disturbance, Hearing Impairment, Intellectually Disabled, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Handicapped, Other Health Impairment, Specific Learning Disabilities, Speech/Language Impairment, Traumatic Brain Injury, Visually Impaired. Preschool students can be identified with these same disabilities and the additional category of Developmental Delay can also be considered.

Special education services for each student with disabilities are written into each student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP). Services may be provided in a variety of settings, with the goal being to educate each student in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE); which means providing services in the regular classroom environment to the maximum extent possible.

Preschool children with disabilities, beginning on their third birthday, are entitled to the same type of services as are school age students. Preschool students can be served in a center based delivery model or an itinerant delivery model with a visiting teacher. Questions concerning this program should be addressed to Kimm Hackworth at (937) 855-6581.


Each building operates under an Intervention Model to help determine if a disability exists. Our high school primarily utilizes an Intervention Assistance Team to help teachers design and document the use of interventions in their classrooms. Our K-8 buildings are using Response to Intervention model to help provide individual learning experiences in the form of classroom and small group interventions. These interventions are designed by the building RTI team to positively impact the student’s educational program by enhancing his/her chances to make progress in the general curriculum. Screeners are in place to look at all children to determine the need for tiered intervention. However, parents who have concerns about their child’s educational progress should contact their child’s principal or classroom teacher to discuss those concerns.

Sometimes the interventions designed by the IAT/RTI team are not enough to meet the needs of an individual student. Based upon the student’s response to the interventions or the student’s apparent need for special instruction, the student may be referred for an evaluation to determine eligibility for special education. In such cases, the school psychologist will become involved and relevant data will be collected including the various interventions tried and the results of those interventions. If the information seems to warrant it, a meeting is held and a building team, including the student’s parents, meets to determine if the student is suspected of having a disability. If that is the case, parent permission is received and the process for a multi-factored evaluation is started. After completion of this evaluation, the team (including the parent) reconvenes to determine if the child meets legal criteria for eligibility for a specific disability. If the child meets eligibility criteria, the team (including the parent) will develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) with specific goals and objectives, specialized services, accommodations as needed, and a determination of where the services will be provided for the child.

Child Find

Any Parent who may suspect their child, birth through 21, has a disability, should call the Valley View School Special Education Director, at 937-855-6581 ext. 228.

  • Valley View School District is attempting to identify, locate and evaluate all children in the community who may have a disability.
  • Children age three through five may have a disability if child has a documented deficit in: communication skills, hearing abilities, motor functioning, social-emotional behavior functioning or vision abilities.
  • School age students – a disability means a person having one or more conditions such as autism, hearing impairment, intellectually disabled, orthopedic and/or other health impairment, severe emotional disturbance, speech or language impairment, a specific learning disability, traumatic brain injury or a visual impairment.
  • According to Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act, any student with a handicap will not be discriminated against and may qualify for special services. An individual with a handicap means a person who has or had, or is regarded as having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of his/her major life activities.


For special education or psychological records, please contact Lisa Minton at (937) 855-6581 ext. 240 before 10:30 a.m. or email her at Lisa.minton@valleyview.k12.oh.us. She will need the date of birth of the person you are requesting records for, and that person will need to come in and sign a “Release of Records” in order to get copies.

You can find the “Whose Idea Is This” booklet and more information on the Ohio Dept. of Education website at www.ODE.state.oh.us.